Tell Me Tuesday…BAM or SLAM!? Exposed Brick

burlapchair

BAM! for Burlap

This week, let’s discuss exposed brick. Exposed brick is definitely not a new trend in the design world, but it is always a strong design statement when incorporated into a space.  It can be traditional, contemporary or eclectic.

Exposed brick…are you a fan?

brickwallfrenchdoor

bathroom

brickwallfloatingshelves

Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 9.41.39 AM

Kevin Spearman Bella Casa

Kevin Spearman via interiors mag online

Images via Design Inspiration, Houzz, Coblr, Austina Architect, Interiors Magazine

Comments

I am going to say slam….lived through apartment after apartment in NYC where walls were torn down to expose brick back in the early 70′s…dating myself I know… But will add, the photo of the kitchen, I could definitely live with.

I just painted over my exposed brick, but in a loft setting I love an old exposed brick wall and would never paint that. It has to be in just the right room to work for me. You have shown some great examples.
    Kathysue

Bam. Classic and beautiful. But not all brick is beautiful, so sometimes it needs to be hidden. But those pictures are spot on!

4. Dawn says

I absolutely love, love, love exposed brick! Can’t get enough of it. So it’s a big BAM for me on that subject!

5. Diana says

Bam! I love the look of exposed brick. However, I do think that it depends on how much brick is exposed and the how the home or apartment is designed.

These examples are lovely. The brick is old.

New brick? Cover it up.

That being said, if you are repurposing old brick for a new build/renovation, be sure to insulate behind it. It is really, really cold in winter.

7. Cathy says

Hi ,
    while the exposed brick pictures you have here look divine, it also is really hard to add color to and be successful . I guess I am going against popular opinion and saying slam

also , not sure if you have done a post on it or not , but what about colored grout – not something I like but it would be interesting to hear others opinions
    Kind Regards
    Cathy
    Kind Regards
    Cathy

I gotta say BAM for everything in these spaces. The raw feel to the these spaces is awesome. The exposed brick ties in so well with wood grain (some polished and some rougher). The thick wood table with the block wood stools fits with the bricks to give everything an exposed, simple feel. Too cool.

A definite Bam! I love these looks, especially the ones with more rustic touches, like hair-on-hide rugs and rugged, woodsy furniture. A nicely done compilation of styles, very cool to see how exposed brick can work in so many different ways.