Tell Me Tuesday…BAM or SLAM!? Stacked Firewood

I hope you all had an amazing Thanksgiving. Mine was very relaxing. I took a couple extra days off. I did a little baking, some mountain biking and a lot of eating!

Did you brave the crowds to find Black Friday deals? I did not go anywhere near a store. I tried Black Friday shopping one time that was enough for me. Instead I hung around Fayetteville, went for a trail run in the AM, then stopped by to check on my dad and his latest volunteer project. He is helping with the restoration of one of the oldest homes in Fayetteville, a large Victorian, built in 1870. It has been vacant for many years and is finally being brought back to life.  I am hoping to join in on some of restoration as well, I will keep you posted. For now you can see a few photos on my instagram feed.

Last week, I missed BAM or SLAM. The week before we discussed CONTRAST WELTING

It was a BIG OL’ BAM!

With Thanksgiving over, I am starting to gear up for the holiday season and the cold winter weather.  I have been scouring pinterest for holiday decor inspiration and ways to cozy up my apartment for the winter months.  One thing that I hope to do next weekend is to collect some logs to update my coffee table for winter.  I have also been tossing around the idea of stacking my non-working fireplace with logs.  How do you feel about the look?

Images via House to Home, Decor8, Shelterness, Sarah Klassen, Houzz, Apartment Therapy

This week I am running a giveaway for The Enchanted Fig, click here to enter.

Comments

Boom chicka – BAM! Bringing a bit of nature into a room in such a way is always lovely. I have been wanting to try this in my fireplace….

I’ve seen it a lot lately and I think it’s a functional and practical way of bringing in texture to a room, so a BAM for me. I need to check out your last Bam post for that contrast welt – I love that look.

If I have to pick one or the other, then BAM – but I have mixed feelings about it (so… WHAM, maybe??). I love the look of it – I love bringing in the natural wood element, and I love the texture and repetition. But since it’s so impractical if you actually use the fireplace, I think it brings attention to the fact that the fireplace is non-working/not used – like it just screams out ‘hey there, I may look like a fireplace, but I’m totally useless!’. But then again, it’s just so pretty! :)

I love the way it looks, just like I love the way books turned backwards on a shelf LOOK…that said, it’s completely impractical. If you fill the fireplace with the wood, then the fireplace is unusable, and no doubt the wood will have bugs in it which will eventually come out of the wood and have to be dealt with. A lot of wood means a lot of bugs. So while I like it from a purely visual standpoint, I guess I’m the lone voice here because based on the fact that it’s impractical and I wouldn’t do it in my own home, I’m going to have to say SLAM!

I can’t give this one a big enough BAM!!! I absolutely love it. I filled my fireplace this summer and it looked awesome but alas, had to remove the wood due to bugs. :( I’m hoping to try again with a different method after the cold season is over this year.

6. Marilyn says

Slam. Too contrived. Love the look of a few white birch logs laid the traditional way — horizonally. Also, I’m with Jamie…the thought of bugs living there is vile.

Yes – a BAM. I hate the bugs thing, but so what – it looks great! Especially if it is mixed up with different cuts and colors of wood. and a spot for a candle in the middle.