Patio Update

Remember last week in my post, My Week in 6, where I mentioned a small project I completed to update our patio.  Well I thought I would share my dirty little secret with you all today.

To be honest, we have an incredible patio in our backyard, but we hardly ever use it, until we put our house on the market it was looking pretty tired.

I wanted to spruce it up so potential buyer’s could see how fabulous it really is.  I think it is a very unique and important part of our house….actually it was one of the things that originally drew me to the house.

Several years ago, before Alfred and I got married, my parent’s gave me a really nice patio set.  It includes four rod-iron chairs and a great firepit.  The furniture itself  is still in excellent shape, but the pillows were looking pretty tired.  They were doing absolutely nothing for the patio anymore, so I thought I would spruce them up.

How  you ask?

Before

After

Spray Paint of course!

I spray painted the cushions.  It took seven cans of spray paint to finish the job.   I couldn’t believe it.  The project took me most of the day because I had to keep running out to hunt down more spray paint.  The first trip to the store I bought 2 cans, thinking that would be all I needed…it wasn’t.

The second time I ran to the store I bought all they had on the shelf.  It still wasn’t enough.  Finally, I had to run to the next town over to buy more,  when I got to Wal-Mart and they only had one can left.

I used Rustoleum Indoor/Outdoor Hunter Green satin.  Who would have thought Hunter Green would be such a popular spray paint color?  For the most part, I thought the color hunter green went out in the 90′s.

Anyways, it is not a permanent solution, but they will get us through the summer.  I think it made a huge difference in the overall scheme of our patio.

What do you think?

Look who stopped by to help me out in the backyard…actually I think she was patiently waiting to play ball…silly pup, I couldn’t resist that shot.

Comments

oh that pup face is so sweet! my dogs faces are in my post today, too- i couldn’t resist either! and i think paint makes pretty much anything better! the chairs look awesome!

My patio furniture cushions are literally shredded from the blazing sun. So sad! You need to frame the picture of your dog…too cute!

They look great, Elizabeth! I can’t believe 7 cans of spraypaint though – ugh. Painting fabric is all over the place today – I just came from Oak Ridge Revival where Andrea is doing an ottoman. Too funny.

Ok, first, your dog is ADORABLE. And I love that photo. I’ve got a furry golden too – he’s actually more like my third child than a dog. Second, what a great DIY. Even though it too so many cans of spray paint, it had to be cheaper than buying new cushions! They look great!

Awesome! They look great. How do they feel? Are they super stuff? I just wonder because I used Krylon on my curtains and it was great, but I wasn’t sure how Rustoleum would do.

6. Veronica says

Who’d have thought? Spraypaint…hmm! Looks great! I have a bottle of wine…

And Gracie looks like she belongs in a Pedigree commercial!

7. sharon morton says

The patio looks terrific . . . . Gracie, Gracie, Gracie, who could resist you. See you Sunday!

8. Kate says

Those chairs look awesome! I’ve pinned it, as I know that soon my own outdoor chair cushions will be in need of a pop-of-color makeover!!! Thank you for sharing!

Looks great Elizabeth! I would have never thought of spray paint for the cushions…I just recovered some of mine – but had to since they needed new foam too!
    That outdoor fireplace is amazing…the new buyers are gonna love it! :)

They look GREAT! Spray paint is the healer of all evil! lol Love it! And that sweet puppy…love that photo…a framer for sure!

Lou Cinda

11. 17 Perth says

Such a sweet pic of your pup!! Those chairs look great—-Spray paint is amazing!

First of all your dog is just too cute! Love the photo. I know the cushions are for show but have you sat on them? If so is it ok with the spray paint and is it rubbing off? Just curious if it is worth doing for our patio cushions that we do use a lot.

Love the colour of the cushions – am asking the same question as Jordan – do they crack when sat on? Gorgeous pooch – Mortimer would just love to play!

That makes such an awesome difference!! Who woulda thunk? (c: Seriously, spray paint is the best invention *EVER*.

15. Canarti Kid says

The chairs look awesome. The spray paint just transformed then into brand new. I like. And that dog has a really cute face.

I have read so many articles or reviews regarding the blogger lovers except this post is in fact a fastidious article, keep it up.

17. Julie says

Hi Great Job on the Patio set! just wondering if they were ever left out in the rain and if so, did the color run? Thanks