Kitchen Reveal…and some Exciting News!

Hi y’all.  I hope you had a nice weekend.  I know we did.  We spent most of the weekend working around the house.  We officially found out Friday afternoon that we’re MOVING!!!

We’re still waiting on the final details, but it looks like we will most likely be moving to Rapid City, SD this summer.  Any reader’s from South Dakota?

I don’t know a lot about the area, but with the massive amounts of research I have done this weekend, it looks like it will be a great match for us.  I have desperately missed being able to spend time outside hiking and biking and it looks like South Dakota has a lot to offer in terms of outdoor activities.  In general, it looks like there is a lot going on in the area.  When Alfred first told me South Dakota was one of the options I wasn’t very excited, but the more research I do, the more I get excited.  I hope it is a place where we can feel at “home.”

Anyway…back to the kitchen.  I finally got the pictures uploaded and edited.  I may try to take some better ones, but I’ll share what I have…are you ready?

I still have a few things I would like to complete, but at this point we’re rushing to get through our TO DO list so we can hopefully get our house on the market next month.

In the kitchen we built the wooden counter tops out of solid doors from Habitat for Humanity, ripped down the upper cabinets on the right side (opening up the kitchen), subway tiled the backsplash (stay tuned for the tutorial) and re-painted the walls.

Previously, my mom and I remodeled the kitchen when she came to visit in June, 2010.

We took down some of the doors on the upper cabinets, repainted the cabinets and walls, changed out the door hardware and installed a new faucet.

This is what our kitchen looked like from June 2010 until we started the second remodel in November, 2011.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Finally, this is what it looked like when we purchased the home in April, 2009

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love the new kitchen, it is so bright and spacious and open.  I hope the new owner’s enjoy it as much as we do!

Linking Up: Craftomanic Mondays, Just Something I Whipped Up, Mod Mix Mondays , Home Stories A to Z , Tuesday’s Treasures, One Project at a Time, DIY by Design, Domestically Speaking, Wicked Awesome Wednesday, Restored It Wednesdsay, WOW Us Wednesday, Hooking up with HOH, Open House Party, Simply Creations, House Party, Transformation Thursday, Addicts(not so)Anonymous Party, Inspiration Friday, Flaunt it Friday, Frugalicious Friday, Catch as Catch Can, Weekend Wrap Up, Home Sweet Home, Frugal Friday

Comments

the kitchen looks amazing! i love the countertops and it is so light and bright! and yay for a move- how exciting!!!

Love all you have done in your kitchen and know it’ll help it sell. Great news about the upcoming move to SD.

OMG! Our post today is about Jordan and the mister installing their backsplash. She showed a picture of the window/sink area and commented that the sink is not centered with the window. Then I just saw your photos – great job by the way – and realized that when her house was built in 1928, the sink was probably like yours. Your door to countertop is the best redo and repurposing I have EVER seen in blogland. I am going to miss those counters.

One more thing. When I rode my bicycle across the United States a few years ago, I loved riding through South Dakota. IT was one of my favorite states to see. We pedaled to Mount Rushmore (whew!), and I thought the state had a lot to offer, was beautiful, and had a lot of diversity with mountains and plains, etc. We stayed in your new hometown one night. You can see a lot from the seat of a bicycle, and I liked what I saw.

Yea! Bye bye, Clovis! I’m so excited for you Elizabeth. You’re kitchen turned out beautiful and just in time…Congrats!

I love how the kitchen has turned out. It has come a long way since 2009 for sure! The eat-in area ties in beautifully. Congratulations on the move – it has to be a good thing! So exciting to discover a new place.

I agree with Pam – you’ll be able to enjoy this kitchen for a little while but a lucky buyer will be able to enjoy it for a long time. You’ve done a great job. And I can’t believe you’re moving!! How exciting! Keep us posted!

Wishing you and your husband the best. South Dakota sounds exciting! Your kitchen looks amazing! I love the updates you’ve made!

It looks amazing . Those countertops turned out great. Love the backsplash too! Congrats on the big move. Can’t wait to follow along with your adventure.

I love it Elizabeth! It looks wonderful and will surely help with selling your house. Everyone loves a pretty kitchen – great job!

wow! it looks amazing! what a difference those counter tops make. Now after all your hard work you have to move- isnt that always the case! BUT think of all the new projects you’ll get to tackle. so fun!

It’s gorgeous! I had no doubts but it looks like a gourmet $50,000 kitchen. I love your countertops and I think we’ve decided to go with butcher block (maybe over the summer?) so this makes me super excited to do mine!

That is a big move! I’m glad you’re so excited, sometimes it’s hard to just pick up and move, but that will be great! The kitchen looks absolutely amazing! Especially when you look at the very first picture! Holy cow!!!

Congrats on the exciting news! Having moved 6 times I know how scary and exciting it can be!
    The kitchen looks fantastic! Great job…the new owners will be very lucky for all your hard work!
    Have a great day ~ Laura

15. Veronica says

AMAZING! You guys did an awesome job. Subway tile backsplash…Wow! And Alfred did a fab job on the bar! That eat-in-kitchen….Geesh! Your home is already a show house! You are good to go! Just need to advertise in the right spots now!

Oh wow, Elizabeth! I’m so happy for you and Alfred. What an exciting adventure. You’re kitchen looks amazing! You both have done a wonderful job and I can just see potential buyers coming in and loving it. It will sell in no time and you’ll be on to a new home/project!
    Take care,
    Lori

17. Sherri says

Congratulations on your move to South Dakota. I live on the east side of the state (more plains and open space) while you’ll be on the west side (gentle hills, lots of trees and wonderful scenery). We’re very proud of our state. I think you’ll be impressed!

Congrats on your move…very exciting! The kitchen looks amazing and will be a real draw as you sell your home…all the best to you both!

Elizabeth your kitchen looks great, perfect selling point!!! congrats on getting a new place to move that you are excited about!!! Lots to look forward too in your life, Happy Monday,
    Kathysue

Great job! I love the transformation! You really lightened the space up- it looks so inviting and beautiful! The countertops are great and I love that you left some cabinet doors off for open shelving. I was thinking of trying that too! :) And congratulations on the moving news! I know you will make your next home beautiful too!

Kitchen looks WONDERFUL!! These are timeless changes, Elizabeth — buyers will love it! I know you must be relieved to know where you’re headed and when. Exciting times ahead!

What an amazing job! I especially love the countertops and I can’t believe you made them yourselves. Congratulations on the big move. Selfishly, I’m excited to see what you do with your next place.
    Abby

23. 17 Perth says

Congrats on your move!! So exciting. I don’t know anything about SD–but it sounds like it will be a great fit. :) Your kitchen remodel looks great!!

Ack, that BEFORE!! I am still so impressed by your door countertops. Seriously, genius. Your newly updated kitchen should definitely be a selling point when putting your home on the market!

GReat job–crAzy about the countertops!
    Rapid City was the last stop (coming back from France) on our familys’ time in the Air Force!
    I remember it was really fun for a kid, but we left when I was 6.
    I should make a trip back there to see if anything is still familiar!

You will love SD. We lived there for 2 1/2 years. No state tax. Mt Rushmore is awesome. The only down side is the winters!!!! God Bless you in your new home.

So excited to hear you are moving to Rapid City! I live 3 hours away, across the line in NE, but Rapid is where we go to do major shopping. It is really pretty small-townish, but has good shopping. The Black Hills are beautiful–not as majestic as the Rockies of course, but still kind of like being in the mountains.
    The winters can be harsh, with lots of wind and snow. But there is almost no humidity, which is nice in the summer. Rapid is a spread-out, hilly town. If you like to hike and camp you will love it there. The Badlands are close–a completely different ecosystem. Summers bring a lot of tourists to the area. It is the regional medical center for wester Wy, central SD & northern NE. Another reason we usually make a monthly trek there. It has a lot to offer and I hope you will be happy there! Hope you will continue your blog! I love your bam/slam feature. Good luck with your move.

AMAZING job on the kitchen!! Everything looks great. Congrats on the move and the new chapter in your lives. I’m sure it will all be wonderful. Can’t wait to see what you do to a new home!

Wow the kitchen looks amazing. I love everything you did! I am still so impressed about your counters and I just found our Habitat Restore here has a whole warehouse of old doors. So something to think about for next year.

Congrats on the move I have briefly been to SD when I was biking so if you like biking and outdoors I think it will be a great place!

30. Pam says

I am from Rapid City, but currently living in Virginia – husband active duty Army. I think you will like South Dakota. We lived on Ellsworth for almost 3 years when my husband was doing ROTC at the college in town. We still have lots of family there. Good luck with the move!!!

31. Genevieve Chaffee says

The kitchen looks beautiful. Alfred did a wonderful job renovating the wall behind the oven and counter tops. You two make a good team-your design and his execution.

Absolutelygorgeous!!!!! I love it, and the best part about this kitchen is that it has some personality. Not a total cookie cutter, but is still beautifully finished. It feels like a place I would like to eat. Great work!

33. Sara says

Beautiful. Everything is gorgeous. For us, it always seems like we get a house just like we want it just in time to move. One question about the countertops. What kind of sealant did you use after the stain? Poly? How many coats?

Finally, I saw a kitchen just last night where they removed the undersink cabinet doors and replaced it with a “skirt.” Have you thought of doing that?

Elizabeth, it looks fantastic!! You guys did an incredible job! It looks so fresh and bright, and I love how the wood counter tops add an element of warmth to the space. If the new owners don’t love it – they’re crazy! Good luck with the move! That is so exciting!!

Your kitchen looks amazing! I love the warmth the wooden counters add to the space. Congratulations on your move and here’s to lots of outdoor time.

René

Whoo hoo! Your kitchen turned out soooooooo gooood! I bet having that done is a huge weight off your shoulders in preparing to move. Btw, Chris and I spent a night in Rapid City on a cross country trip a few years back. We both agreed that it would be a pretty cool place to live. In any case, you’ll have a whole new place to decorate, and isn’t that what’s most important???

What an absolutely gorgeous kitchen!! I can’t get over the transformation and you did such an amazing job. :- I love how crisp and bright it all feels and yet you maintained so much charm and character. Well done! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday this week~
    Vanessa

Your kitchen is adorable! I love what you have done with it. I don’t live in South Dakota, but North of there in Manitoba, Canada. But, we spent a week in the Black Hills and area, oh my, it is so much fun!!! And it’s such a beautiful area, too, with the painted canyon, the bad lands and Mount Rushmore, of course, all in a days drive. I hope you LOVE it, like we did.
    Hugs, Cindy

All of your hard work paid off in a beautiful kitchen!!! This will definitely be a great selling point for your home. I’m featuring your kitchen transformation at my party. I don’t know anything about SD, but if you can mtn bike and hike, it sounds great to me! Good luck with everything. Now, you’ll have a whole new house to redecorate…exciting!

Aw! My entire family lives in South Dakota! There is plenty of outdoor activities, but the winters are ridiculously cold! Let me know if you need a realtor recommendation, my Aunt happens to be a pretty fantastic one in the area ;) The kitchen looks fantastic! Oh if you like beef jerky be sure to try Sturgis jerky, it’s the BEST!

Beautiful Kitchen Makeover! :)
    I did mine a couple of years ago, and I’m so happy I did. I painted my vinyl floor, blue and gray, but I’m loving your black and white! hmmmmm It may be time for a change!

thanks for sharing at Catch as Catch Can
    gail

I’m intrigued by your use of doors for the countertop. Could you share photos of where you used the wood filler?

What a beautiful transformation! I L.O.V.E. the counters! Genius using solid doors. And opening up to the little dining area made a great difference in the amount of light and spaciousness.

Beautiful job! I’m sure the new homeowners will be impressed.

WOWOWOWOW! This looks AWESOME!! I cannot believe your BRILLIANT idea for the countertops!! Oh Em Gee!! My husband is going by the Restore Store where he works to check for doors! I am all over this! Thank you SO SO much for sharing this idea and your gorgeous kitchen!!!

New Follower!!!

Lou Cinda :)

I love how your kitchen turned out! I am looking at moving into a very old home and wondering if you ever had any problems with not having a vent above your stove. I would like to rip out the cabinets and just add shelves. Was it ever a problem for you?

46. Julie says

Love the kitchen, especially done on a budget. And Rapid City is one of my favorite cities – cool restos and shops, friendly people, and so much gorgeousness outside. You will love it!

47. Lisa Hansen says

I just stumbled across your blog….you have amazing taste! LOVE LOVE LOVE your style! And I am commenting because I live in Rapid City! Born and raised! It is a beautiful town, friendly people, great place to raise a family, mild weather (ignore what people say about the bad winters-we’re in the banana belt!), and our downtown is experiencing a renovation-new restaurants, shopping, etc. The quality of life is amazing. OK enough about our little city…… Welcome to Rapid!! :)))

48. Molli Von Trapp says

It seriously looks amazing! I wish I could hire you to come to our kitchen remodeling tempe az. I am clueless when it comes to this kind of thing. I swear it’s a gift that either you get or you don’t. Thanks so much for the post!

Believing that you are actually starving, it releases chemicals that
    actually make it harder to lose weight in an effort to conserve energy.

Avocados- Although not my favorite, are high in fats,
    the good ones. When you’re about to start on your weight loss plan, it’s a good idea to think about
    your end goal and chunk it down into smaller goals.

Nice! I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about kitchen remodeler in your area. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about kitchen remodeler. Keep it up! This is a good read. You have such an interesting and informative page.