Closet + Office = Cloffice

It’s Alfred, Elizabeth’s husband, again for another to-do post. The Cloffice was one of our more unique home improvement projects, and the most fun. Why? because it was new, it was trendy and it was finally going to be a space for me in our home. Guys, if you live with or marry an Interior Designer, you don’t get a whole lot of the house to call just yours.
When we moved into our house,we quickly realized that we had to solve the problem of where to do the un-fun stuff like pay bills, do homework and maintain our family records. Our house only has 2 bedrooms and setting up a guest room in our office, or an office in our guest room was “unacceptable.” Solution: Turn one of the many closets in the house in to a mini office.

The process was pretty easy and took us bout 3 days, about 2-3 hours a day. Like any project read all the steps a few times, before starting the project.

Step 1: Remove doors to closet.
You can replace them later, if you would like to maintain the illusion of an closet, or hang a curtain up like we did.

Step 2: Remove all shelves, poles, and junk from the closet.

Step3: Patch all holes to make sure it is ready for painting.

Step 4: Paint the Cloffice.

Step 5: Shelves.

These can be made out of furniture grade wood and painted any color you want. Make a plan for your shelves, #, height, and if you want cubby holes or not. Draw your shelves to scale on a piece of paper to make sure it looks about right. You can use the golden ratio I discussed in my previous post to make the dimensions pleasing to the eye. The Construction is easy. Use 1/2 x1 pieces that go the depth of the shelves to hold the shelves on the wall.

Step 6: Framing the Shelves.
The goal is to make it look like a built in piece of furniture, so once the shelves are up you need to “frame” the shelves to look like a bookcase. A piece of 1/2″ x 1″ wood down the height of the shelves hides the wood you used to hold the shelves up. A piece of crown molding also works well at the top to give it a finished look. Finishing nails works best for attaching the wood.

Step 7: Prep and Paint.
Putty up the holes for any screws/ nails, and joint and sand ‘em till they disappear. Then prime, and paint. We used oil based, semi-gloss Benjamin Moore paint, not the stuff from the blue or orange stores.

Step 8: Prepping the Desk Surface.
We used a piece of chopblock wood countertop from IKEA, but you can use anything. Stain the wood to your desired color. It may take a few coats, and don’t let the stain dry, this will make the stain uneven. When deciding on the dimensions, you want to leave 1/16″ space on either side of the desk for crumbs, dirt and other junk to fall through when you clean it. Plus, leave a 1″ gap at the back so that you can pass electrical wires up through the back of the desk.

Step 9: Installing the Desk.
Use more 1/2″ x1″ pieces of wood to brace the desk up and attach the desk with small 1″ L brackets. Don’t forget to leave the gap in the back. Screws work best, but make sure they will not go through the depth of your desk, and you don’t attach at a seam in the chopblock.

Step 10: Electrical (Hardest Part)
If you already have an electrical socket in the closet then your job is easy. If not you can install an electrical outlet, yourself or hire a professional to to it (Recommended). Also if you have a light in the top of the closet you can replace the simple light bulb with a more fancy ceiling light. Make sure when planning your shelves that you leave enough room to install the light.

Step 11: Creativity
Let your creativity go and fill your cloffice with what you think you need, books, magazines, bills, small stone lions. Here is where you design the details. If you want to be able to cover up the cloffice you can reattach the doors or put up a curtain.

Those are the basics. You should now have a unique selling feature in your home and a space other than a kitchen table, guest room, garage or box of papers, dedicated to organizing your life. Good luck.

Alfred

Photobucket
Photobucket
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Gosh, you'd NEVER know this was once a closet from the way it looks now. Great tutorial! Btw, congrats on your feature at Remodelaholic :)

2. This really looks amazing. I love all the touches in the cloffice. Thanks so much for linking up to my Swing into Spring party.

3. I am totally jealous, this cloffice looks fantastic! I wish my office area looked so styled:)

4. I love that you call it a cloffice! What a fun idea! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog & leaving love!
    <3 leigh

5. Wow what a transformation! Love the chevron! Your cloffice looks amazing!!!!

6. Silver Lining Decor says:

Hey girl! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm so happy you did because now I am looking forward to reading more of yours :)

7. Danielle {breakfast at toast} says:

LOVE these photos. Just a heads up — your blog link isn't in your profile. thankfully your blog name was in there so I was able to google it and find you :)

8. Great job! I love all the pops of yellow! I'm a new follower! :)

9. sharonsmorton says:

Hey Alfred! What a great post today . . .
    the "cloffice" looks amazing – definately a
    "two" do project.

10. Luciane at HomeBunch.com says:

It looks amazing!!!

Great job!

Have a wonderful day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

11. jenclair says:

It looks like such an efficient (and beautiful) use of such a small space!

12. kara@elements-interiors.net says:

LOVE THIS! Come on ova' and link up to my Linky Party! xoxokara

*ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

13. What an absolutely perfect use of space! I love the way it came together…
    xo Robin
    All Things Heart and Home

14. ps…I'm featuring this great post next week on All Things Inspired! I just love it!
    xo
    Robin

15. Handy Man, Crafty Woman says:

This is such a great idea. Thanks for linking it up to Wicked Awesome Wednesday.

16. Very nice! Love the little curtain door! Also loving the yellow Chevron! I did a closet office back in January! Here is the link if your interested!

17. Amy of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie says:

Your cloffice is very clever! The colors you used and the fabric at the door opening are wonderful! Thanks for linking up at the Workspace Showcase at WWC!

18. Dana {Southern Inspired} says:

This looks amazing!! Love the yellow chevron! So glad you found me! I'm YOUR newest follower :) Have a great weekend!
    Dana

19. Bianca @ Walnut Avenue says:

Hey guys – I am your newest follower! This looks amazing…I live in a 1950's ranch with NO closet space so we can't pull this off but it is definitely a great use of space if you have an extra closet!

20. Love it! So practical and yet so pretty! And completely appropriate-looking for the husband to use too. New follower.

21. Delightful Order says:

Wanted to let you know I featured this today! Come by and grab a button, if you'd like.
    DaNita

22. GORGEOUS! You did such a nice job and I LOVE the curtain choice and the colors for inside the closet… the yellow totally pops!!!

-Ashley

23. Melissa at HOUSEography says:

What a gorgeous space – especially the gold accents. Love it! Thanks for linking up to my house tour office party!

24. Hi I am visiting from Houseography house tour….I love your cloffice, it is so inviting! It looks like you could just walk in! The lighting in there gives the room so much depth! And I love those accessories!!

25. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper says:

that looks awesome! love the curtain and the soft and natural appeal of all of it.

26. I love it! But, usually, my office would only look good after I cleaned it. Then it would be a cluttered mess forever! LOL! Anyway, a closet office is such a great way to open up more space in your house. It's also applicable to people who have messy offices like mine. =D

27. Beautiful space! I love the curtain for the door area, how it gives a peak into the cloffice area. Love the lion and the books. Thanks for linking up and being an integral part of Roomspiration! :)

28. A Lived in Home says:

Love it Elizabeth! I'm really liking the chevron magazine holders and striped containers.

29. My husband & I were just talking about doing this to the office in our guest bedroom. I am so glad you did a post about it & I’m so glad I stumbled upon it now. We’d still like to utilize part of it as a closet for our guest though. Thanks for sharing this! It turned out gorgeous. Hope ours looks half as good!

30. LOVE your cloffice! : )

So fun to be in the line-up with you for Brooklyn Limestone’s Conquered Closets series!

I would be thrilled if you would link this up at my second ever Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL…going on right now (we had almost 300 links last week…can you tell I’m excited??! : ))

Would love to have you by for a visit!

P.S. I’m a new subscriber. : )

~Abbie (www.fivedaysfiveways.com)

31. Or at least I WILL be a new subscriber when the service is back up (giving me fits at the moment).

32. Just seeing this for the first time… love every inch. Will be sharing on FB and Pinterest!

xo,
    cristin

33. Love this too! Geeze! There is so much creativity in your brain! Thanks for sharing it with us!
    Sarah Weaver recently posted..matthew 28My Profile

34. Note: This information contained in this article was obtained through
    interviews and research. Power – MP3 on your Nokia E63 can download album information and art for each song it plays.
    This device detects and displays available signal frequency, bandwidth aand strength.
    phone Signal boosters recently posted..phone Signal boostersMy Profile

1. [...] Cloffice,where I spend all of my time blogging and designing,received a major overhaul in March.  I [...]